Language & Culture, Language Expansion Classes
November 294:30 pm – 6 pm CST
November 296:15 pm – 7:45 pm CST
Det är mycket tissel och tassel just nu för barnen har en hemlighet. There’s a lot of whispering right now because the kids have a secret.
I had such a wonderful time at ASI that I became a member! Thank you for the excellent programming you bring to our Twin Cities community!— ASI Member
I had such a wonderful time at ASI that I became a member! Thank you for the excellent programming you bring to our Twin Cities community!
A trip to Minneapolis isn't complete without a visit to ASI— CNN
A trip to Minneapolis isn't complete without a visit to ASI
2600 Park Ave
The sights and sounds of the Scandinavian marketplace returns the first weekend in December at one of the region’s largest handcraft markets and festivals. Shop handmade goods from more than 60 regional artists at booths inside ASI and out in the courtyard. Browse exceptional items from ASI’s own Jul Shop, alongside distinctive artisan glass, clothing, wood, jewelry, ceramics, and textiles.
Perfect for all ages, Julmarknad features pop-up musical performances, family crafts, story time, festival foods, and take home handcraft projects that celebrate the season. Kids – be on the look-out for Tomte Kajsa!
You’ll also have the chance to meet local artist and author of ASI’s book A to ZÅÄÖ: Playing with History at the American Swedish Institute, Tara Sweeney, and try taking a spin on a spark (kickled) from Scandia Kicksleds.
For first pick from our artist vendors and to experience the magic of ASI at night, come to the Julmarknad Preview Night on Friday, December 2!
Click the arrows on the right to scroll to other dates.
· All-ages Make & Take Crafts of Papercut ornaments, holiday cards, and spool tomtes.
· Kubb League Tournament Courtyard Spectators welcome, Saturday only!
· Explore the Holiday Exhibition, Secrets of the Season.
· Play in the Family Gallery, Our Dragon Story.
· The Great Tomte Hunt Begins at Mansion Volunteer Desk! Find 3 tomtes hidden throughout the Mansion.
Food is served from 10am–4pm on Saturday & Sunday:
· FIKA Café serving classic menu.
· FIKA Café pop-up Courtyard serving pastries and beverages.
Sat, December 3
· 10 am: Kurt Nelson navalur Welcome
· 10 am: Renee Vaughan on nyckelharpa
· 10:30 am: ASI Male Chorus
· 11 am: Nyckelharpalag
· 11:30 am: Learn Swedish cow calling (kulokk)
· 12 pm: Vasa Jr. Folkdancers
· 12:30 pm: Scott Keever on guitar
· 1 pm: Earthtones chorus
· 1:30 pm: ASI Cloudberries chorus
Sun, December 4
· 11 am: Lillalag youth fiddlers
· 12 pm: Learn Swedish cow calling (kulokk)
· 12:30 pm: ASI Spelmanslag adult fiddlers
· 1 pm: Nya Duvemåla Folkmusiklag
2022 Julmarknad Handcraft Market applications are closed for this year. Applications open early summer and close midsummer each year. If you are interested in receiving information about future Julmarknad applications and other market opportunities with ASI, please fill out this form.
Julmarknad celebrates the Swedish tradition of slöjd, or handcraft. ASI is committed to upholding this tradition all year round with the Nordic Handcraft series. Workshops, classes and demos taught by skilled instructors bring Nordic-inspired folk arts to life innovative and creative programs in textiles, wood, birch bark weaving, basketry, glass and more. Learn more about ASI’s Nordic Handcraft Programs.
A tradition that can be traced back to the middle ages, outdoor holiday markets are a hallmark of the Swedish holiday season, which begins with the First Advent in November and ends on St Knut’s day on January 13. Nearly every town in Sweden has its own Julmarknad, characterized by small red sheds decorated for the season and filled with handmade goods from local vendors.
Receive our digital newsletter containing all the latest from ASI.
Experience everything ASI has to offer. Includes year-round free admission, a 10% store discount and more!
Your gift ensures that ASI can continue to bring richness to the community and to you.
This is a test, only a test