Skip to main content

Honorary Consulate of Sweden

About / Honorary Consulate of Sweden


The Honorary Consulate of Sweden in Minneapolis represents the Swedish government in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska, in concert with the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C.

The Consulate’s office is located at the American Swedish Institute at 2600 Park Avenue in Minneapolis. Services provided in Minneapolis include passport delivery, provisional passports for emergency travel, applications for coordination numbers or to retain Swedish citizenship, life certificates, facilitation for Swedish voters and more.

Bruce Karstadt, President and CEO of the American Swedish Institute, is Sweden’s honorary consul in Minneapolis. He has led the Consulate since 1994.

Consular services are provided by appointment only. The fastest way to contact the Consulate is by email at [email protected] You also may reach the Consulate by phone at (612) 870-3377.


COVID-19 travel restrictions in place

The Swedish government has restricted all non-essential travel for citizens from most countries outside the EU/EEA, including the United States. This decision is in effect until May 31, 2021, and may be extended. Additionally, to enter Sweden, foreign nationals must present a negative COVID-19 test result. Swedish citizens and residence permit holders are not affected.

Learn more about COVID-19 travel and border restrictions (in English).

Consular Services

Applicants seeking new or renewed passports must visit the Embassy in Washington or the Consulate General in New York.

To book an appointment in Washington, click here or call (202) 467-2600. To book an appointment in New York, click here or call (212) 583-2560. To apply for a passport, you must already have a personal number (personnummer) or coordination number (samordningsnummer).

You also may apply for a passport with the Swedish police. This is the fastest and least expensive option if you are currently in Sweden or will be traveling there soon. For more information (in Swedish and English), click here.

The Consulate in Minneapolis cannot accept passport applications; however, you may pick up your passport in Minneapolis after applying in Washington, New York or abroad.

In the event of an emergency or a lost passport, the Consulate in Minneapolis can immediately issue a provisional (or emergency) passport to a Swedish citizen, which can be used for a single trip to Sweden.

You must make an appointment to apply in person at the Consulate. The fee is $185, cash or check; we cannot accept credit cards.

To obtain a provisional passport, you must have purchased tickets for travel and be able to show your itinerary, as this information will be included on the passport itself. On the day of your appointment, you must bring your driver’s license, national ID card or expired passport, as well as two passport photos (available at CVS or Walgreens and the like).

If your regular passport is expired, you must also bring a printed population registration certificate (personbevis), which can be obtained from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) here.

Learn more about applying for a provisional passport (in Swedish and English).


In order to receive the benefits of Swedish citizenship, children born abroad (in the US) must be added to the population register by applying for a coordination number (samordningsnummer).

This application is free and can be filed in person by making an appointment at the Consulate in Minneapolis.

Click here to download and print a Coordination Number application.

The child must be present at the time of application, along with at least one legal guardian; however, both legal guardians must sign the application. Supporting documentation is required, including certified copies of the child’s birth certificate, parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable) and more.

The processing time to receive a coordination number is about 4-5 months. You will receive your child’s coordination number directly from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

Please note that a coordination number only converts to a personal number (personnummer) upon moving to Sweden but that they are functionally the same.

Learn more about applying for a Coordination Number (in Swedish and English).

A Swedish citizen who was born abroad in some cases will lose their citizenship upon reaching age 22 unless they apply to retain it. You must submit this application after your 18th birthday but before your 22nd birthday.

This application is free and can be submitted in person by making an appointment at the Consulate in Minneapolis.

Download and print a Retention of Swedish Citizenship Application here.

Learn more about applying to retain Swedish citizenship (in Swedish and English).

If you live outside Sweden and receive a pension from the Swedish Pension Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) or compensation from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan), you need to provide a life certificate (levnadsintyg) each year.

If you receive a life certificate in the mail, you can make an appointment with the Consulate in Minneapolis to have it stamped.

Learn more about life certificates (in Swedish and English).

Visa applications are processed through the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). The Consulate in Minneapolis does not conduct visa interviews or collect biometric data; this must done at the Embassy in Washington or the Consulate General in New York.

Learn more about visas and moving to Sweden (in English).

All US visas and residence permits are handled by US authorities. For more information, contact US Citizen and Immigration Services or the US Embassy in Stockholm.

Questions about ESTA and US visa waivers must be directed to US Customs and Border Protection.

Information about travel to the US during the COVID-19 pandemic, including current restrictions, can be found at the US Department of State’s website.

Krisinformation från svenska myndigheter

UD:s reserekommendationer

Sveriges Ambassad i Washington (Swedish Embassy)

Migrationsverket (Swedish Migration Agency)

Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency)

Polisen (Swedish Police)

Pensionsmyndigheten (Swedish Pension Agency)

Valmyndigheten (Swedish Election Authority)

SWEA International Inc.


Contact the Consulate

Honorary Consulate of Sweden, Minneapolis
2600 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55407

(612) 870-3377
[email protected]

Bruce Karstadt, Consul
Adelie Bergström, Consular Assistant